When you’ve been injured due to the negligence or carelessness of another, you may want to file a personal injury claim, which means you’ll need an attorney. Having the right lawyer can make a huge difference in the outcome of your case.
When you’ve been injured, you shouldn’t hire just any “all purpose” law firm to help you with your case. It’s crucial you hire a personal injury attorney experienced in your type of claim. These five tips should help you find the best attorney for your needs:
- Do your research. Consultations are almost always free, so take your time to meet with several lawyers. Ask friends and family for recommendations. Use the internet to find attorneys who specialize in the area of personal injury you’re looking for. You can read attorney profiles to find out how long they’ve been in practice, see their awards, honors, and certifications, membership in associations, testimonials, and trial and settlement track records.
- See if you feel a connection. Examine how you feel during and after your meeting. Do you feel comfortable with the lawyer? Do you feel like they were focused on you and your case? Did they feel trustworthy? Did they keep you waiting? Did you meet with the actual lawyer or someone on their staff? And, most importantly, did you feel like you were being treated with respect?
- Ask who will actually be working on your case. With many large firms, you may meet with one lawyer but your case will handed down to interns or newer associates. You should get the personal attention your case deserves, so ensure you find out exactly who will be working on your case.
- Ask the attorney a few questions: How long have you been in practice? Roughly how much of your practice is personal injury cases? Who will I be dealing with in the day-to-day matters of my case? What are your payment options? Do you get paid on a contingency basis? What about the retainer? How do you feel about settling versus going to trial?
- Discuss the lawyer’s plan for your case. Even during a first meeting, your attorney should come away with some sort of action plan. They may want to interview witnesses, document property damage or injuries, or file any necessary forms. The attorney should be engaged in your case from the outset.
Hiring the right personal injury attorney can go a long way in getting you the compensation you deserve. Ensure you are comfortable with your lawyer’s experience and personality, and take the time to find the right fit.
If you’ve been injured due to someone else’s recklessness or negligence, speak with a knowledgeable personal injury attorney at Taylor Jones Taylor today. Our legal team provides comprehensive counsel to clients in Southaven, Olive Branch, Hernando and the surrounding areas. To learn more about our services, or to schedule a consultation, call 662-342-1300 or fill out our contact form to learn more.
Related Personal Injury Articles
- Personal Injury
- How to Make a Claim for Pain and Suffering
- What Happens When My Child Is Bitten by a Dog?
- The Most Popular Toy of the Season May Be Its Most Deadly
- High School Football May Be on Its Way Out
Benjamin L. Taylor is a lifelong resident of DeSoto County and has distinguished himself in the area of products liability and personal injury law. He has a reputation as a fierce advocate for his clients and has obtained millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements over his career. He has been listed in the publication Super Lawyers of the Mid-South in the area of product liability. To learn more about Mr. Taylor, please refer to his biography page.