Memphis attracts 11 million people yearly, according to Memphis Travel. The top reasons they visit Memphis are the great culture and history – especially the music. The music begins with Elvis, but there’s also jazz, country, and the blues. Top destinations include Graceland, Beale Street, Sun Studio, the National Civil Rights Museum, and the Memphis Zoo.

Many tourists stay in Hernando, Olive Branch, and Southaven to be near the city, but also to be where the daily hotel and living expenses are lower. (It’s only about 25 miles from Hernando to Memphis.) All these visitors, much like our commuters, need to use the major Mississippi roads to get into the city.

But what happens when an out-of-town visitor hits your car? And what do you do if that accident takes place over state lines?

When car accidents happen between two Mississippi residents, it’s fairly easy to understand what insurance policies apply and where the lawsuits are filed and heard. When an out-of-state driver and a Mississippi driver collide, the insurance and legal issues can be more complicated.

As with all car accidents, experienced lawyers should be contacted immediately so they can begin investigating and speak to witnesses, examine the accident site, and examine the vehicles if necessary.

Issues that need to be addressed when you collide with an out-of-state driver

Some of the more common issues that need to be resolved in tourist car crashes include:

  • Car ownership. The first complication is determining who the owner of the non-Mississippi car was. In most cases, three types of owners will be involved:
    • The driver may own the car
    • The driver may have rented a car
    • Rideshare services such as Lyft or Uber
  • Insurance issues. In Mississippi, all drivers must have liability insurance if the driver (or someone with permission to use the vehicle) causes an accident. The state minimums are $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident. There’s also a $25,000 property damage minimum. Drivers should also buy uninsured/underinsured coverage and collision coverage. Mississippi also has uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD).

Tourist accidents complicate matters in several ways. The first is that drivers usually have just the insurance their home state requires, which may differ from Mississippi’s requirements. The second is that Uber and Lyft owners and drivers have a different set of car accident insurance requirements. Car companies like Hertz usually have their own insurance coverages which are often fairly high. Tourists who rent cars may have the option to buy even more insurance.

  • Where the case is tried. Usually, if a car accident happens on a Mississippi highway, interstate, or road; the injured victims can file their claim in the county where the accident happened. If the car accident happened in Tennessee, then then the case will likely be heard in Tennessee.
    • If a Mississippi driver caused the accident. The out-of-state or out-of-county driver could file a claim in the county where the driver lives.
    • If the tourist caused the car accident. The Mississippi driver would normally file the claim where the accident happened. The victim could also file the claim in the state where the tourist lived.

The Southaven lawyers at Taylor Jones Taylor are experienced at handling the complex cases. We understand how to navigate the claims of Mississippi victims and tourists who are hurt in a car accident. We’ve being fighting for injury victims for than a half-century. Our car accident lawyers represent clients in Southaven, Olive Branch, and Hernando, and throughout the state. For help with any vehicle accident, call 662-342-1300 or fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment